Marriage licenses are issued in the County Clerk’s office. Both the first party and the second party must appear together.
The license is valid for 30 days (including purchase date) and the license is a nonrefundable fee. The license must be used within the state of Kentucky.
18 or older
Both parties must be present and show clerk proof of age including one of the following:
- An automotive driver’s license
- A government or school issued identification card showing date of birth
- A certified birth certificate (passport, visa or green card must be translated into English)
License is only issued pursuant to Court Order
No waiting period or blood test is required prior to issuance of a marriage license. In Kentucky, the first and second party must be present to sign and swear to the information on the application.
- Name and address
- Date of birth and age
- Place of birth
- Both parent’s names (including maiden)
- Current status of first party and second party (Single, Divorced, Annulled, Widowed)
- Number of previous marriages of first and second party
- Race of first party and second party
- Whether first party and second party are related (First cousins are not permitted to marry in the state of Kentucky)
- Date of marriage
You may view and print a copy of the marriage application and complete prior to coming to the clerk’s office. Just click on marriage application. Application must be signed and sworn before the county clerk issuing the license.
The total fee is $50.00, fee includes the following:
- clerk/spouse abuse
- certified copy mailed to the couple
- postage/copy mailed to state registrar
- postage/copy mailed to couple
- legal process fee.