Click on the question for an answer or additional information. Click on the question again to close.
How do I register to vote?
- Driver’s License Bureau
- Military recruitment offices
- Designated public assistance agencies
- Public libraries
For more information about how to register, click here.
Who may register to vote?
- A native-born or naturalized U.S. citizen who is 18 years old by the general election
- A resident of the state and county at least 28 days before election
- A convicted felon whose civil rights have been legally restored
- Any citizen who has not been judged “mentally incompetent” in a court of law
- Any citizen who does not claim the right to vote outside Kentucky
When do I need to register to vote?
When do I need to change my party affiliation?
What if I have special needs at the polls?
If I move, will my polling location change?
What is my polling location?
Avoid the last-minute rush on Election Day. Find your polling location today.
What are proper forms of identification for voting?
- Drivers’ license
- Voter registration card
- Credit card
- Social security card
- Personal acquaintance of a poll worker or other personal identification
Note: Oath of the voter is no longer used as an acceptable form of identification pursuit to House Bill 33, signed into law on March 1, 2002.
What if I will be out of town on Election Day?
What are the reasons a person may be able to vote absentee by mail?
- Person is unable go to the polling places to vote due to age, disability, or illness on Election Day.
- A student, who temporarily resides outside the county in which he/she is registered voter.
- Voters, who are temporarily resides outside the state of Kentucky, but who are still eligible to vote in this state.
- Person incarcerated in jail that has been charged with a crime but has yet to be convicted of the crime.
- Person whose employment location requires him/her to be absent from the county all hours and all days absentee voting by machine is conducted.
- Military personnel confined to a military base on Election Day.
- Residents of Kentucky and their dependents who are members of the Armed Forces are eligible to vote.
- Kentucky citizens who are residing overseas are eligible to vote in this state.